By Emilio Corsetti III
On may perhaps 2, 1970, a DC-9 jet with fifty seven passengers and a group of six departed from New York's JFK foreign Airport en path to the tropical island of St. Maarten, yet 4 hours and 34 mins later the flight led to the shark-infested waters of the Caribbean. It was once, and continues to be, the single open-water ditching of a advertisement jet. the following rescue of survivors took approximately 3 hours and concerned the coast defend, army, and marines. This gripping account of that fateful day recounts what used to be occurring contained in the cabin, the cockpit, and the helicopters because the crews struggled opposed to the elements and dwindling sunlight to rescue the survivors, who had simply their existence vests and a lone break out chute to maintain them afloat.
Read or Download 35 Miles from Shore: The Ditching and Rescue of Alm Flight 980 PDF
Best aviation books
;Grumman F8F Bearcat[Aircraft Profile 107] КНИГИ ;ВОЕННАЯ ИСТОРИЯ Название:Grumman F8F Bearcat Автор: Hal Andrews Серия: airplane Profile 107 Издательство: Profile courses Ltd Год издания: 1966 Страниц:12 Формат: PDF в rarЯзык: английский Размер: 1. 39 Мб Качество: ниже среднего Для сайта: Мир книгПалубный истребитель Grumman F8F Bearcatсоздавался для заменыF6F Hellcat.
Taking readers into the cockpit of the U. S. Air Force's F-15E, the pilot-author of Warthog: Flying the A-10 within the Gulf battle recounts the all-too-human reviews of conflict within the skies over Baghdad.
This quantity is made from electronic photos created throughout the collage of Michigan collage Library's large-scale digitization efforts. The Library seeks to maintain the highbrow content material of things in a way that allows and promotes numerous makes use of. The electronic reformatting method leads to an digital model of the unique textual content that may be either accessed on-line and used to create new print copies.
- Treasures of the National Air and Space Museum
- Innovation for sustainable aviation in a global environment: Proceedings of the sixth European Aeronautics Days, Madrid, 30 March–1 April 2011
- Scale Aviation Modeller 1995 No 08
- North American B-25 Mitchell
Additional resources for 35 Miles from Shore: The Ditching and Rescue of Alm Flight 980
In a letter dated 27 March 1946 to various leaders of civilian colleges requesting their participation on the Air University Board of Visitors, Gen Carl A. Spaatz, commanding general of AAF, outlined his concept of AU's PME charter: Thepurpose ofthe institution is to provide postgraduate education forAir Force officers in order to improve their professional capabilities and knowledge, to widen their vision and to insure forward-thinking and 37 adequate leadership for Air Forces, both in peace and war.
21 . Office of Assistant Secretary of Defense for Manpower, Officer Education Study, 3 vols. C. : Department of Defense, July 1966). For adiscussion ofPME, see vol. 2:136-86, 297-355 . 22. Maj Gen Lawrence S. : Air University, March 1973), 12,19-20,32 . : Government Printing Office, March 1976). For a typical criticism from a nonmilitary source, see Maureen Mylander, "Graduate School for the Generals," Washington Monthly, October 1974,42-52. 14 CONTEXT ANDBACKGROUND 24. Clements committee, SSC, 2.
13. : Air University, December 1959),1-12 . These references are tothe executive summary, which is well cross-referenced to the body of the report. 14. In 1959 AU acquired the Air Force Educational Requirements Board (AFERB), governed by AFR 53-26, Air Force Educational Requirements Board, 12 December 1958. This standing board was headed by a majorgeneral who reported directly to the AU commander. Its primary purpose was to ensure a balance between officers' college degrees and their corresponding Air Force specialty codes (AFSC), but the board was occasionally used for ad hoc assessments-the function of the group mentioned here.